Thank you for your interest in I/O Design & Engineering.
We are always looking for exceptional people to join our team- people who share our values of safety, integrity, and accountability. As a part of our team, you can expect to be involved in interesting and diverse projects where you will be given challenging opportunities.
If you do not see a current opportunity that suits your background, but feel that your skills would be a valued asset to I/O Design, please contact us at email@example.com.
About the Company
I/O Design and Engineering (I/O Design) is a small mechanical engineering design firm located in Trail, BC. I/O Design services heavy industrial and municipal clients providing engineering, design, drafting, 3D scanning services, and engaging in design & supply contracts for our clients.
I/O Design places a very high value on the happiness and well being of our employees. In addition to competitive remuneration, vacation, and health benefits, we also offer 5 flex days per year. I/O Design employees are encouraged to participate in a number of annual company events including mountain biking, hockey, golf, and a BBQ at the lake. I/O Design also tries to enhance the wellbeing of employees through health courses and targeted bonuses tailored to employees specific interests.
Our employees’ backgrounds range from drafting, machinist, to engineers. Each brings a wide range of knowledge, and a passion for improving design efficiency through the smart use of technology, to deliver top quality designs to our clients. A high value is placed on learning, mentorship, and providing opportunities for each employee to develop their skills while utilizing the latest technology to execute their daily tasks.
Typical projects involve concept generation to detailed design, and for some projects supply of:
- Automated equipment
- Lifting devices
- Material handling equipment
- Specialty equipment platforms
- Process equipment and components
About the Job
As part of our continued growth I/O Design & Engineering is seeking to fill a project coordinator position. Projects are primarily small in nature and in the mechanical and structural fields comprising teams of 3 to 6 people.
The applicant must have the following project management capabilities:
- Team Building
- A strong work ethic and team spirit
- Coaching and expediting staff to complete projects
- Conduct team member check-ins.
- Resolve collaboration roadblocks using interpersonal skills, and process oriented thinking.
- Diligent timely review/filing of digital information to maintain data integrity to ensure a smooth flow of information though the team members.
- Very high level of organizational skill, where you enjoy the challenge of staying ahead of many project details.
- Ability to manage the minute details of up to 15 active projects including their budgets, schedules, client expectations and communications
- Coordinating, scheduling and expediting 3 to 6 people including engineers, designers and draftsman during project execution
- Meeting and communicating directly with clients. Develop an understanding on how and when each client needs information.
- Regular weekly meetings with the office manager where you have a rigorous understanding of the details, have a clear goal and direction for each project, discuss project deviation, delays or risk areas, and ready to be accountable for your project decisions.
- Facilitating project meetings to be efficient and effective.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to compose correspondence and other written materials independently. This includes writing proposals, developing project scopes and budgets.
- Selecting and managing subcontractors
- Writing scope of supply documents
- Issuing purchase orders
- Cost and schedule negotiations
- Reviewing fabrication and installation drawings of steel components
- Decision Making
- Proficient in knowing when to collect ideas and when to prune and hone them
- You enjoy wading into confusing situations to find a least two clear paths forward relatively quickly, and executing the best choice
- Ability to make wise decisions by balancing all viewpoints given the information available, and setting the best direction at the right time
- You have a high level of initiative and enjoy driving projects forward with a collaborative energy and setting priorities
- Taking a practical approach to design with an understanding and respect for how designs will be implemented
The ideal applicant for this position will have 8 or more years work experience with a minimum of 3 years proven capability of project and personnel management. You will have extensive technical experience working for or servicing heavy industry and will have a back ground as one of the following:
- Project Manager/Coordinator
- Maintenance planner
You must demonstrate the ability to:
- Constantly watch for business opportunities beyond the current project. Look for local industry trends and solutions
- Quickly learn the operations, and follow the policies and procedures of the company including learning I/O Design’s project management software
- Be receptive to feedback and input from both team members and management
- The flexibility to work in a small company and accept a wide range of responsibilities and roles
- Be a self starter capable of working independently of direct supervision while interdependently leading project teams
- Work in accordance with all relevant health and safety regulations and guidelines
- Very clearly communicate in both written technical documentation and verbal presentations
- Constantly evaluating the effectiveness of the company’s work flow and operaions to look for and recommend improvements
- Comprehend detailed fabrication drawings
- Conduct field work in heavy industrial environments
- Willingness and ability to safely conduct field work in large and complex industrial facilities
- Relocate to the greater Trail, BC area
It is expected that project management will comprise 70% of this full time position. The remainder of the position will be dependent upon your expertise and capabilities. I/O Design would consider someone with one or more of the following skill sets:
- Mechanical Engineering or Design in the areas of:
- NFPA Inspections and certifications
- Machine Design
- Materials Handling
- Pressure Vessels
- Structural Engineering
- Steel Design
- Concrete Design
- 3D / LiDAR scanning and data processing
- Electrical or Controls Engineering
- Process Engineering
- Marketing and Sales
- Design & Supply Contracts / Fabrication & Machining
- Diversifying into new business areas
- Other skillsets complementary to I/O Design’s core engineering business
Specific knowledge of any of the following industries would be an asset:
- Pulp and Paper
- Wood processing – sawmills, veneer plants etc.
In addition to the items that I/O Design should know about you, your cover letter shall specifically address the following items:
- Why you want to live in British Columbia’s Kootenay region?
- Your passion for project management and working for a small consulting engineering firm.
- How you manage information to ensure its accuracy and relevance throughout the design process.
- Why you would make an excellent and enjoyable team member in collaborations?
About the Region
The greater Trail area is comprised of Fruitvale, Trail, Rossland and Castlegar and numerous rural areas in between. Populations of towns range in size from 1,500 to 10,000 people. The area offers a large number of world class recreational opportunities for all seasons. The people who thrive here love the outdoors. I/O Design’s employees have all chosen to live here because of the feeling of being part of a community and for the mountain biking, skiing, canoeing, and numerous other outdoor opportunities.
While the Trail area has all of the necessities to live, the closest major retail centres are Spokane, Washington (2 ½ hours south), Cranbrook, BC (3 hours East), and Kelowna, BC (3 ½ hours west). The region is serviced by two small airports with daily flights to Vancouver and Calgary.
Starting wage is dependent upon experience. I/O Design provides a comprehensive benefit package in addition to a team oriented and professional work environment.
How to Apply
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Isaac Saban, Mechanical Engineer, P. Eng.,
I/O Design and Engineering